Clematis shipping information:
Our shipping schedule for the week of May 29 is full.
everything you need to know.
Orders received after May 25 will ship the week of June 5.
See how we package clematis.
We ship to US addresses only.
Apologies to our friends in Canada!
Garden Watchdog Reviews of Hummingbird Farm!
- Pricing: Clematis are $24.99 each.
- Spring Shipping Dates: Although we accept orders beginning in January, we will not begin shipping until mid to late April, due to cold night temperatures in the Frozen North. We have a lot of orders to ship once the weather warms and we start with the warmer parts of the country. If you have a preferred shipping date, please put it in the "comments" box on your order form. In the spring, we do not ship until LOW temperatures in your location are consistently above 40 degrees F.
- Shipping Carriers: We ship either US Priority Mail or UPS ground, depending on which is more economical. We only use UPS ground for orders that will reach their destination within three days. We can ship UPS 3 day for orders that are farther away, but there will be additional shipping charges. If you have a preference, please put it in the comments section of your order.
- Shipping Charges We have reduced shipping charges for 2023! Shipping is $13.50 for every two plants. In other words, shipping for one or two plants is 13.50, 3 or 4 plants is 27.00 and so on.
- Tracking: When you place your order, you will receive two emails, one a copy of your order, the second a payment receipt. When your order ships, you will receive an email containing tracking information.
- Shipping Days: During April and May, we ship Monday - Thursday. Only orders to Maine addresses ship on Thursdays. Later in the season, we ship on Tuesday and Wednesday, to make sure your plants can reach you before the weekend. We have found that it takes three days for plants to reach the far corners of the country (like California), so we will ship those orders only on Tuesdays.
- Summer and Fall Shipping: As the climate continues to change, we are adjusting our shipping schedule. Weather permitting, we will ship through June and July and again in September, although hot weather may cause us to alter our plans on a week-by-week basis. We will not ship plants if the high temperatures are much above 80 dergees, either here in Maine or at their final destination. Rest assured, we will notify you if we are unable to ship plants; let's all keep the lines of communication open!
- Condition: You will receive a strong, healthy plant with a well developed root system. The tops may have received a "summer haircut" to keep them manageable, depending on the time of year. We do our best to protect the stems; if however, they should be broken in shipping, don't worry. Just keep them well watered and they'll grow right back.
- Packaging: Clematis will be shipped out of the pot. Most of our clematis are grown in tree pots that are 4 inches by 14 inches. These innovative pots allow for a longer, stronger root system. For more information - and pictures - on our packaging system, take a look here. Note: Not all clematis will show this much top growth when you get them.
- Bare Roots Plants: All states west of the Mississippi River require us to ship all plants bare root. What does that mean? We remove all soil from the root system, wash it in clean water and repack the plants in damp peat moss. Yes, it sounds scary, but we've been doing this for years and have found the plants aren't bothered a bit.
- Canceled Orders: If we are forced to cancel your order,we will offer a substitution or a full refund - your choice. If you cancel your order, we will issue a refund minus a $5.00 cancelation fee.
- Substitutions: We will never make a substitution on your order without your permission. If you want to make a substitution, we will accommodate that to the best of our ability. We will not charge a fee for substitutions, but please be aware that clematis sometimes are different prices.
- Help is on the Way! We will include complete planting instructions with your order. These same instructions can be found here. For lots more information on growing clematis, check the links in the navigation bar at the top of each page.
Questions? Send us an email and we'll clarify things for you.